Connect with us

METRO

Federal Institution reemploys sacked workers, holds convocation on Saturday

Published

on

The Vice Chancellor of The Federal University, Dutsinma, Katsina State, Professor Armaya’u Bichi has said that the institution has recalled 250 staff sacked by its former management. This was disclosed to journalists at a pre-convocation press briefing in the state capital, Dutsinma, on Friday.

The about 250 staff were sacked by the institution’s management after their temporary appointments were not regularised. The vice chancellor has, however, said that the arrears of the affected staff have been paid, to boost their morale and ensure effective service.

Armaya’u Bichi said: “The staff were sacked unjustifiably by the former management, we realized that the decision is unjustifiably”.

The VC said about 250 academic staff and over 200 non-academic staff had been employed to enhance academic activities in the university, while also announcing the establishment of a Freedom of Information Unit to ease access to information about the university as well as an Anti-Corruption Unit to aid the Federal Government’s fight against corruption.

He also announced the approval, by the National Universities Commission, of the establishment of Faculties of Law and Engineering in the institution as well as the running of 12 Post Graduate courses.

______
Follow us on twitter via @akwaibominfo

Share your story with us via SMS and WhatsApp on 0902 211 0018


Comments

Akwa Ibom INFO is the digital front-door that informs, educates and entertains a global audience of readers with distinctively radical and inspirational media content emphasizing the freshness of Akwa Ibom culture, entertainment, sports, faith and lifestyle presented from a thrillingly unalike angle.

METRO

Police: We’ve arrested three of the suspects who escaped in Kogi

Published

on

NPF LOGO

The police say they have rearrested three out of six suspects who escaped custody in Kogi state on Wednesday.

Two of the six suspects are involved in the illegal possession of arms case preferred against Dino Melaye, senator representing Kogi west.

They accused the senator of arming them for robbery and kidnapping.

After the suspects escaped custody, they were declared wanted and Ali Janga was removed as the commissioner of police in Kogi, by Ibrahim Idris, inspector-general of police (IGP).

Speaking with PUNCH on Saturday, Janga said three of the suspects have been rearrested but he did not give their names.

“Yes, it is confirmed, but note that I am no longer the CP, I have been removed, so next time talk to the new CP,” the newspaper quoted Janga as saying.

Two of the rearrested suspects reportedly sustained gunshot injuries.

______
Follow us on twitter via @akwaibominfo

Share your story with us via SMS and WhatsApp on 0902 211 0018


Comments
Continue Reading

METRO

Mystery! Strange Snake Reportedly Swallows N36m in JAMB Office

Published

on

A mystery snake is said to have made away with N36 million cash after sneaking into the accounts office of the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board, JAMB, in Makurdi, the Benue State capital.

Prior to recent reformations in the exam body, JAMB candidates purchased scratch cards from JAMB state offices and other designated centers, to gain access to the Board’s website for either registration or to check their admission status but the reforms introduced by JAMB registrar, Prof. Ishaq Oloyede, recommended an end to the use of scratch cards.

A team of auditors was dispatched to different state offices of JAMB to take inventory of the sold and unsold scratch cards and recover whatever money that might have either been generated or mismanaged during the period of the sale of scratch cards.

On their visit to Makurdi office of JAMB, a sales clerk, Philomina Chieshe, told JAMB registrar and his team that she could not account for N36 million she made in previous years before the abolition of scratch cards.

In the course of interrogation, Philomena confessed that it was her housemaid that connived with another JAMB staff, Joan Asen, to “spiritually” steal the money from the vault in the accounts office.

She said: “I was one of the four sales clerks attached to JAMB office in Makurdi. My responsibility was to sell scratch cards to candidates and not involved in handling the revenues. It was the responsibility of Joan Asen and my other senior colleagues. I only remit money when am done selling the cards.

RELATED: Fani Kayode Blames Buhari for Missing N36 Million Swallowed by Snake in JAMB Vault

“Few months ago, there was issue of fraud in the Makurdi office. Auditors were sent from Abuja to carefully flip the record books of the office, to perhaps, ascertain the current state of affairs.

“The state Coordinator, Obilo, was not around when the audit team came. But in the course of the audit, N36 million was discovered to have been missing from the account. An investigation was launched. In the course of the investigation, it was discovered that Joan Asen, who is account staff and a lady outside JAMB have connived to steal the money.”

Philomina in her confessional statement said that Joan Asen and her accomplices confessed that they have been stealing the money “spiritually” through a mysterious snake that always sneak into the office to swallow the money from the vault.

According to her “It was a mystery to me too. I have been saving the money in the bank, but I found it difficult to account for it. So I started saving it in a vault in the office. But each time I open the vault, I will find nothing. I became worried and surprised how the millions of Naira could be disappearing from the vault. I began to interrogate everybody in the house and office, and no one could agree on what might have happened to the money. I continued to press until my housemaid confessed. She said that the money disappeared “spiritually”. She said that a “mysterious snake” sneaked into the house and swallowed the money in the vault.”

______
Follow us on twitter via @akwaibominfo

Share your story with us via SMS and WhatsApp on 0902 211 0018


Comments
Continue Reading

METRO

Coloured Water: Calabar Residents Shocked

Published

on

Residents of Calabar were shocked on Thursday to find coloured water flowing from their taps after more than several weeks of being cut off from public water supply

Calabar, the Cross River State capital, had experienced irregular supply of potable water for over one year, leaving residents to scout for water from available borehole facilities owned by individuals.

The supply is coming almost a year after same thing happened in March 2017 that lasted for some days.

Areas that got coloured water supply include Eta-Agbor, Ekpo Abasi, Mayne Avenue, Marian Road and State Housing.

Thursday’s supply of coloured water sparked controversy as residents blamed the management o f the Cross River State Water Board Limited for incompetence.

Members of the state House of Assembly had recently slammed the agency for poor performances, but the management of the board blamed its shortcoming on lack of funding.

A resident of Mayne Avenue, Mr. Emeka Ndubuisi, lamented that it would have been better to remain without water than to supply one that was likely to be injurious to consumers’ health.

“We have tried to cope with this irregular supply of water in Calabar for more than one year. It was a shock to find coloured water flowing from the taps on Thursday. It was like that for more than five hours and it showed that those managing water supply in the state are playing with people’s lives,” he said.

But the CRSWBL blamed the supply of coloured water on what it called “flushing of storage tank and pipe network”.

Managing Director of CRSWBL, Dr. Godwin Igile, gave an instant assurance that potable water would be restored on that same day.

In his statement, Igile said, “Please rest assured that management is doing everything possible to ensure restoration of regular clean, potable water before evening fall.”

As at 6.30pm on Thursday, coloured water was still being pumped to residents, while water supply stopped altogether on Friday.

 

______
Follow us on twitter via @akwaibominfo

Share your story with us via SMS and WhatsApp on 0902 211 0018


Comments
Continue Reading

METRO

Jumia Agent Murder: Case Stalled as Lawyer Claims Threat to Life

Published

on

The murder case involving the killing of Chukwuma Eleje, the dispatch agent of popular online store, Jumia who was murdered along Ada-George area of Port Harcourt has stalled.

The matter was stalled because Defense counsel, Uchechukwu Amadi who is counsel to Sodieneye Mbatumueke applied to withdraw from the matter over threat to his life.

State Counsel, Ibikiri Otorobio also told the court that he has had series of threats to his life.

Trial Judge, Justice Chigozie Igwe in his ruling said the lawyers should show evidence of the threat to their lives.

Speaking outside the court room, Director of Public prosecution, Ibikiri Otorobio said the matter cannot continue until the defendant gets a new lawyer.

“Our law says if anyone is being threatened in camera, he can be heard in camera.

“The Defense Counsel has said he is being threatened to withdraw from the matter. Who is threatening him, we don’t know. So he has to prove that to the court,” the DPP said.

The matter was adjourned to February 16 for hearing.

The accused persons, Sodienye Mbatumueke and Rexcel Nabee are standing trial on charges of Murder and Armed robbery for the alleged killing of the agent, Chukwuma Eleje and dumped his body in a septic tank after allegedly delivering two iPhones to them.

______________________________________________________________________________________________

First found on Dailypost.ng

______
Follow us on twitter via @akwaibominfo

Share your story with us via SMS and WhatsApp on 0902 211 0018


Comments
Continue Reading
Advertisement

FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK

TWEET BEACON

Trending